Thursday, February 28, 2013

Department of Motherhood and Internal Management




 Venus de Milo with Drawers, 1936, Salvador Dali 



"Mom!  What is sixteen squared?"
Two hundred fifty-six, I said
easily; I pulled the answer
right out of my head.

"Mom!"  A little one has slipped
upon the fresh-cleaned floors.
"Help!  I have an owie!"
Let me check my chest of drawers.
A cheery little Band-aid,
and a kiss to dry the eyes:
a simple panacea
for children of her size.

"Mom!  I lost a button.
My trousers slip and slide."
Let's look in my button drawer.
Here's just the thing inside.
Stitch it on and send him off
with a bolder stride.

The cabinet chief asks a report
from this bureaucracy of one.    
I've filled many needs today;
there's still more to be done.
Supplies are running low,
it might be hard to meet demand.
If I'm to stay open,
I could really use a hand!    

    

9 comments:

  1. Bureaucracy of one ... that's for sure, never enough drawers!!

    When my kids were small .. they played a game with small soft filled bags (velcro strips on back side) tossed at a target board with velcro strips from the outside into the bull's eye. They loved that game!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh T this is so smart and clever- Mom has a hand in everything !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A mom never has enough drawers or hands. I love bureaucracy of one. Great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was so clever! I kinda miss the days when the kids were little! Now they're older and they can do it themselves. I guess that's how it's supposed to be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. (btw, I came over through Magpie Tales)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Clearly an underfunded department for not-for-profits.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like this - we all need our drawers!

    Anna :o]

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really neat take on the picture :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a smart and fun take on the prompt!

    =)

    ReplyDelete