Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Authenticated

How often do you get to see a piece of history about which you have written?  If you are a local historian, probably pretty often.  But I traveled a long way, and was still surprised to see this one:  the very pouch in which Ezra Allen kept his gold dust.  Remember that?  It's an important detail in my play, An Authentic Christmas.  And I saw the real thing in a display case at the Mormon Battalion Historic Site in San Diego, California.  The Site is a delightful place to visit, with friendly staff, an interactive multimedia presentation, and hands-on activities at the end.  Learning about my ancestors' experiences left me with a greater appreciation for the air-conditioned van in which I had just crossed the Mojave Desert.  Stop by and visit if you are ever in the neighborhood, and give a sigh for poor old Ezra and Sarah.

No comments:

Post a Comment