Saturday, August 24, 2013

Reflection

Photo by Elena Kalis

The barrier is not so firm, but fine.
Did you catch a glimpse before slipping through,
leaving behind
the canker that muddled your mind,
limbs weary from fighting the current?
Is the other side a reflection
of this murkiness, but clear?
Take along your vivid colors.
A sweet savor trails in your wake.
Rest with the saints in glory,
but we know you won't be still.
If work there be to do, you'll find it;
idleness was never your ideal.
Family ties still anchor us--
we'll watch for your beacon smile
when our turn comes to cross
and wait, with you,
'til every silken hair will be restored.


For my mother-in-law, Sierra Sue Osgood, 1946-2013

6 comments:

  1. Teresa, this touched my heart as my mother passed away with Alzheimer's disease in May 2007. I have copied your poem .. keeping it in a book of favorites next to my bed. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm honored, Helen. Peace be with you...

      Delete
  2. No murkiness in the tenderness of this poem, T.
    Wonderful.

    ~p

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you T. That was sweet and now your sensitive sibling feels like crying. I'm grateful I could see you that day.

    ReplyDelete